- Round trip to the Sneekermeer 21 km.
- Round trip passed IJlst and on the lake Zwarte Brekken 16 km.
- Round trip north of Sneek starting at Scharnegoutum along Boazum and Rien 23 km.
Kayak rentals: Het Toppunt, Top 3, 8606 JT Sneek. Tel.: 0515-420808 / 06-25515862 (open canoes only)
Starting point Sneek:Take the beltway north around Sneek. At the roundabout (N354 Scharnegoutum) exit south towards the center. At the next roundabout turn right on the Berkenlaan. After a short distance you turn right after the bridge on the Docter Kuyperlaan. After the traffic inhibitor you turn right on the Foet. Straight on you see a bike-road. At the bridge is a good starting point.
1. Round trip to the Sneekermeer 21 km.
Starting point is at the bike road int the park behind the Foet. You head south towards the center. At the bridge Laatste Stuiverbrug you turn left passed the city center. There is a narrow side canal to the right and just after that you turn right under a low bridge. A little further you turn left on the Woudvaart. Follow the canal until you come at a lake: the Zwarte Brekken. Turn left and follow the canal under highway A7. In Oppenhuizen you turn right. Follow the canal passed Uitwellingerga. Follow the bend to the left and you come at the wide Prinses Margrietkanaal You crosss the canal and go straight on. At the T-junction you turn left. At the end of the canal you turn left and then you see the lake Sneekermeer. Turn right on the Sneekermeer and follow the left side. There are mooring places and two long islands to protect from the waves. You cross the passage to the Prinses Margrietkanaal en you pass the Start-island. There is a small harbor and a restaurant. There is a low side where kayak ga go to the side. You continue north and passed the island you turn left. You cross the channel of the Prinses Margrietkanaal. Head north to the watch-tower. Here you turn left to the recreation adrea Potten. You cross the lake to the culvert on the other side. On your right you pass piers where you can swim. In this area nude recreation is permitted. The lake was created for sand extraction. At places it is 6 meters deep. You pass through the culvert and follow the canal to the left. After a bridge you come at a shallow lake. After another bridge you come at a bigger lake. Follow the right side and turn right on the Houkesloot. This canal connects Sneek to the Sneekermeer and it can be rather busy. Gradually the canal narrows, and boats pass closer by. In the center of Sneek you go straight on until you come at the Laatste Stuiverbrug. That's where you turn right to the starting point.
GPS Starting point at the street named Foet: Lat. 53.0418, Lon. 5.6698
Sneekermeer: restaurant on the Start-island.
View from the Start-island.
Sneekermeer. Watchtower near the Potten.
2. Round trip to IJlst 16 km:From the Leeuwarderkade you turn right towards the center. After the bridge named Laatste Stuiverbrug you turn right at the T-junction. Follow the canal until you see the watergate on your left. You can go under it and you'll find a kayak pier on your left. You turn right on the Geeuw and pass over the aqueduct. In Ijlst there is a kayak pier on your right just before the bridge. If you walk a little further along the canal you come at the Tourist Information where they have wc and shower facilities. After the bridge you turn left at the T-junction. You pass the narrow canal through the center of IJlst. Then take the second canal to the left. Follow the bends and take the second canal to the left. Head straight on passed the Zwarte brekken. Across the lake you take the canal where you see the highway straight ahead. Follow the canal towards the Haukesloot. this is a wide canal. Turn left towards Sneek and follow the main canal towards the center. Then turn right under the Laatse Stuiverbrug and return to the starting point.
Watergate in Sneek.
Former skate factory Frisia in IJlst.
Wijnsloot near IJlst.
3. Round trip north of Sneek starting at Scharnegoutum along Boazum and Rien 23 km.Starting point Scharnegoutum: Take the beltway north around Sneek. At the roundabout (N354 Scharnegoutum) exit north. At Scharnegoutum keep heading north at the roundabout and then take the first left. Follow the bend to the left and at the end of the road you can launch your kayak.
From Scharnegoutum head north for 2.5 km. Then turn left and follow the bends towards Boazum. There is a kayak pier on your right when you enter the village. Then follow the bend to the left and go under the railroad bridge. Keep following the canal to the T-junction at the end. This is a wider canal and you turn left. You pass the villages Rien with the iron lift-bridge and at Roodhuis you go under a bridge just outside the village. Further on you pass through Tirns and the you see a reat American windmill on your left. Follow the canal to the center of Sneek. Here you can turn left, and then left again under the Laatste Stuiverbrug, or make a detour around the city center where you can see the famous Watergate. The canal through the city center is closed.
GPS Starting point on the dead-end road Zwettewei near the bridge in Scharnegoutum: Lat. 53.0589 Lon. 5.6804